Preparing to teach GCSE computer science – intensive CPD CC286 / A01
Designed for teachers who have already taught some computing, including at key stage 3. The ‘preparing to teach GCSE computer science’ pathway will support you with the development of subject knowledge to meet the requirements of GCSE computer science.
This intensive CPD package will provide you with the opportunity to upskill your subject knowledge, up to GCSE level. Completing this pathway will contribute towards recognised certification. You'll be supported along the way by experienced teaching professionals, among a group of your peers.
You'll participate in live face-to-face CPD, with the opportunity to access on-demand online CPD. You'll take-away ready-to-use and successful teaching approaches from experienced teachers, supported by the latest research and evidence.
Across the three days you’ll complete the following courses. You can find out which courses by selecting a course date:
• Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration
• The internet and cyber security
• Representing algorithms using flowcharts and pseudocode
Computer Science Accelerator Pathways:
Our learning pathways are designed to provide a set of recommended courses to help you get started with your CSA journey. You can view the preparing to teach GCSE computer science pathway here.
By attending this CPD pathway, you’ll complete three CSA courses across consecutive dates. Bursaries are available for teachers in state-funded schools in England, bursaries could be used to cover travel expenses and overnight accommodation.
Who is it for?
This CPD is intended for teachers who have already taught key stage 3 computing and want to improve their subject knowledge to meet the requirements of GCSE computer science. Prior knowledge of the computing curriculum would be beneficial to access this CPD
What topics are covered?
- Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration - during this course you learn how to program using the text based programming language, Python. You’ll learn how to use programming constructs sequencing, selection and iteration.
- The internet and cyber security – during this course you’ll learn how the internet works; how data is sent between devices; and potential network threats and how to prevent against these.
- Representing algorithms using flowcharts and pseudocode – during this course you’ll learn how to read and write your own algorithms using both flowcharts and pseudocode.
How will you learn?
Hands-on experiential learning with the collaborative support of your peers. Expert advice and instruction on the GCSE curriculum and the expectations of a computer science teacher, from experienced classroom practitioners
How long is this course?
You’ll complete three courses from the Computer Science Accelerator programme, totalling approximately 15 hours, split across multiple days. Online courses are also available free of charge, these are available to complete before, alongside or after the face to face courses.
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this intensive CPD pathway you will be able to:
- Develop some basic program constructs using variables, handling user input and output to the screen
- Follow the flow of a program, identifying values held in variables at different stages of execution
- Create and control indefinite loop structures in programs
- Become familiar with the Python programming language
- Learn the key building blocks of algorithms to be executed using a computer
- Represent algorithms using pseudocode and flowcharts
- Understand the IP address system, MAC addressing, and how both allow effective networking of hardware devices
- Learn how the Domain Name System (DNS) helps humans to interact with the internet devices.
- Develop a conceptual understanding of the TCP/IP stack, and the protocols that support frictionless communication between machines
- Develop an understanding of the main internet security threats, including those that manipulate machines and those that manipulate humans.
|Day 1 - Python programming: sequencing, selection & iteration||28 June 2022||09:30-15:30||President Kennedy School Academy|
|Day 2 - The internet and cyber security||29 June 2022||09:30-15:30||President Kennedy School Academy|
|Day 3 - Representing algorithms using flowcharts and pseudocode||30 June 2022||09:30-15:30||President Kennedy School Academy|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact email@example.com to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available