Enhancing employability skills and careers knowledge – STEM Club Workshop GY003 / C03
This workshop will promote opportunities for club leaders to learn how to incorporate and enhance careers knowledge and build skills for students within club sessions. Club leaders will become confident in their understanding and use of STEM Ambassadors, Science Capital, Gatsby Careers Benchmarks, and the Skills Builder Framework. The workshop is for teachers or technicians from secondary schools, Sixth Form and FE colleges across England with KS3, KS4 or KS5 provision. This regionally based face to face course lasts approximately 2 hours and enables course attendees to network, share ideas and best practice. The workshop includes practical club activities to try. The workshop explores the following topics:
- current club practice to promote careers, employability, and essential skill sets
- why employability skills are important, and the role clubs can play
- how Science Capital can be used to raise student awareness of skills and careers knowledge
- identifying essential skills and the methodology of the Skills Builder Framework
- understanding the role of STEM Ambassadors and how to engage with them
- Gatsby Career Benchmarks and how STEM Clubs can help address the skills shortage
- embedding careers, essential skills, and real-world context into club activities
- how clubs can reward and add value to students demonstrating excellence in skill sets
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- develop a plan with short, medium, and long-term goals to increase careers awareness and employability skills
- utilise Science Capital and Gatsby Careers Benchmarks to identify aspects of the club that support the school’s career plan
- create a detailed schedule of events and opportunities to expand student experiences of potential careers and STEM influences
- identify a series of employability skills from the Skills Builder framework to be supported in club projects
- provide real world context to projects and implement work-related roles for the students
|1 Enhancing employability skills and careers knowledge – STEM Club Workshop||04 July 2022||16:00-18:00||AMRC Training Centre|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£80.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available