New to computing – intensive CPD CA285 / E02
The ‘new to computing’ pathway provides subject knowledge enhancement for new to computing teachers, up to and including GCSE Computer Science. Whether you’ve recently qualified as a computing specialist teacher; or if you’re looking to add computing as a second specialism this CPD will guide you through a supported introduction to computer science.
This intensive CPD package will provide you with the opportunity to upskill your subject knowledge, up to GCSE level. Completing this pathway will contribute towards recognised certification. You'll be supported along the way by experienced teaching professionals, among a group of your peers.
You'll participate in live face-to-face CPD, with the opportunity to access on-demand online CPD. You'll take-away ready-to-use and successful teaching approaches from experienced teachers, supported by the latest research and evidence.
Across the three days you’ll complete the following courses. You can find out which courses by selecting a course date:
- Foundation knowledge of computer science for KS3 and GCSE
- Introduction to computer systems, networking and security in computer science
- Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection and iteration
Computer Science Accelerator Pathways:
Our learning pathways are designed to provide a set of recommended courses to help you get started with your CSA journey. You can view the new to computing pathway here.
By attending this CPD pathway, you’ll complete three CSA courses across consecutive dates. Bursaries are available for teachers in state-funded schools in England, bursaries could be used to cover travel expenses and overnight accommodation.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- Foundation knowledge of computer science for KS3 and GCSE – during this course you’ll explore the foundation knowledge needed to teach computer science. You’ll learn about programming concepts, algorithms, data representation and computer hardware.
- Introduction to computer systems, networking and security in computer science – during this course you’ll learn how computer systems function; how data is input and output; what types of network exist and how they work; and security threats and how to prevent against them.
- Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration - during this course you learn how to program using the text based programming language, Python. You’ll learn how to use programming constructs sequencing, selection and iteration.
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Learn about algorithms, how they are usually represented, and some of their most common applications
- Recognise and use the basic building blocks of programming: sequence, selection and repetition
- Become familiar with the Python programming language
- Understand how binary, denary and hexadecimal are used to represent numbers, and why this is important for computer science
- Develop basic programming skills using block-based and text-based languages
- Learn how data is inputted into a computer, how it is processed, stored and output in a useful form
- Recognise the terminology used to describe data storage and transmission, ironing out common misconceptions
- Develop a basic understanding of local and global computer networks
- Become knowledgeable and confident in using common cybersecurity terms
|Day 1 - Foundation knowledge of computer science for KS3 and GCSE||12 July 2022||09:30-15:30||Bridgewater High School|
|Day 2 - Introduction to computer systems, networking and security in computer science||13 July 2022||09:30-15:30||Bridgewater High School|
|Day 3 - Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection and iteration||14 July 2022||09:30-14:25||Bridgewater High School|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact email@example.com to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available