Essential science for new and recently established leaders NY062
Develop your primary science expertise and arm yourself with strategies to effectively lead science in your school. Through practical workshops, you will develop your understanding of how children learn in science.
A lack of detailed subject knowledge can sometimes mean primary teachers feel less confident teaching science. This course addresses this need by providing you with the specific, in-depth subject knowledge you need to effectively and confidently deliver the primary science curriculum. Over the duration of the course you will become more confident in the biology, physics and chemistry aspects of the curriculum, with these sessions being delivered by subject experts.
You'll also look at effective ways to lead science within your school and discover how to engage with your school colleagues to increase their confidence when teaching science. You'll participate in practical tasks aimed at bringing science learning to life and plan how to ensure skills and knowledge progression is embedded within your whole school curriculum.
As well as subject knowledge development, you'll look at effective assessment strategies, ways to enrich the science curriculum and successful ways to monitor science and support your colleagues to develop their science teaching.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- key stage 3 level subject knowledge development of physics, chemistry and biology
- what does good enquiry look like?
- raising the profile of science in your school
- the role of the subject leader
- assessing primary science
- leading and improving the quality of science in your school
- action planning an engaging and progressive science curriculum
- developing careers learning through engaging science
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- develop a deep understanding of the scientific concepts within the primary science curriculum
- lead improvement in the quality of science teaching and learning within your school
- develop your primary science expertise and implement a whole school vision for science
- monitor provision of science, pupil's progress and contribute to the strategic development of learning in school