Examine and explore a selection of biology practicals in areas such as microscopy, biotechnology, plant practicals and ecology which will give you an enhanced understanding of key stage 3 and key stage 4 biology.
Biology can often be seen as the science subject with few practicals that are engaging and work successfully. On this course we will change that perception through a diverse range of practicals developed by ourselves and others that will highlight that biology can be taught through exciting and effective practical work.This course has been developed on five main strands to make sure its relevant to technicians. These five strands include where to source the equipment, how to set it up, how the practical runs in the classroom, scientific background to the practical and health and safety.The content has been designed to fulfil the biology curriculum for 11 to 16-year-old students, which will inspire them to attain in their biology qualifications. We will cover the three major exam boards and, as technicians, you will be able support the science department more effectively for the future of the students.
Who is it for?
Science technicians in secondary schools.
What topics are covered?
- GCSE required practicals
- physiology and dissection
- plant technology
- technicians skills – building and improving existing equipment
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face at the National STEM Learning Centre in York.
How long is this course?
This is a three-day residential course. Fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
You will be able to
- successfully implement new biology skills and knowledge
- identify key issues that are essential for effective performance in your role
- communicate with others to implement safe and effective biology practicals in your school or college
- prepare biology practicals from a range of sources, to engage students and others
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.