Picking the Team
This resource, from the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI) At Work With Science series, includes two activities to help students with job applications and understanding what employers need from their employees. The tasks encourage students to examine curriculum vitae, assess their effectiveness and then match them to appropriate job descriptions. Picking the Team is intended for use at key stage four as part of students' Personal Social and Health Education (PSHE) or work related learning. It also supports aspects of GCSE Science courses relating to what scientists do. The activity could also be incorporated in a programme of work for post-16 students following applied and vocational courses.
The aims of the activity are to enable students to:
- Become familiar with the type of information supplied in a curriculum vitae
- Become familiar with the type of information supplied in a job description
- Find out about the types of job opportunities which exist in the pharmaceutical industry
- Become familiar with the organisation of industry.
It also helps to offer a context within which:
- Applying for jobs can be discussed
- The selection of staff by companies can be considered
- Equal opportunities may be discussed
- Stereotypes may be explored
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.