Newcastle University A-level Physics Practical Support
In January Newcastle University Physics department will launching a scheme offering free support to schools and colleges in completing their A-level practical experiments. The scheme will bring classes of students into the department to complete one or more of their required A-level practicals here at Newcastle University using our equipment.
We invite you to join us for our launch event on Tuesday 21st January. We will outline how the scheme will work and it is your opportunity to see our equipment and talk to us. You will also have the opportunity to book onto the scheme at the launch event. Tea, coffee and cakes/pastries will be provided. You can get more information on, and register to attend event here (https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/launch-event-for-newcastle-university-physics-a-level-practical-support-tickets-85090811909).
Brief overview of scheme
The purpose of the scheme is to assist schools in completing their A-level physics required practicals by providing access to high quality equipment and expertise, particularly in cases where such access is lacking in school.
- We have high quality equipment to perform all 12 of the AQA required practicals. Many of these are the same (or use the same equipment) as the recommend practicals for the Edexcel and OCR syllabuses. Schools running these syllabuses are also welcome to take advantage of the scheme.
- There is no charge for the scheme, but the school is expected to oversee the transport of students to and from the University. We are located a 3 min walk from Haymarket Metro station and bus station. Visitor parking can be arranged on request and transport bursaries are available to apply for from the University, more information on travel bursaries here.
- Experiments are to be carried out within normal work/school hours. Only one experiment will be performed per session per class. University staff will be present to assist with the equipment however, a teacher is expected to be present and to lead the session. Wednesday afternoons are our preferred day for running experiments.
- Schools can select up to three practicals, to be completed in separate sessions.
- Please direct any queries to Paul Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking onto the scheme and/or expressing interest
Official booking for the scheme will go live after the launch event however you can informally register your interest by emailing email@example.com. If you are unable to attend but would like to receive more information about the scheme and information about the booking process when this goes live, then please email Paul Branch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Improovement in students enthusiasm for physics. Greater likelyhood of considering continuing to study physics at university or persuing a physics based career,To book this activity, please contact:
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
|Published||19 December 2019|
|Last modified||19 December 2019|
|Nature of scheme||Excursion|
|Subject(s)||Science, Physics, Working scientifically, Practical work, Outside the classroom, Techniques and procedures, Enquiries and investigations, Demonstrations|
|Running times||1-4 hours|